If so, you have to know that you have a nice long road ahead, since losing this excess weight will allow you to gain health and enjoy many more aspects of your life and your environment.
By getting back to your healthy weight , you will be able to achieve important day-to-day goals such as: improving your mobility and agility, being able to go for a walk for a long time without getting tired, playing ball with your children or nephews, looking better physically, putting on clothes that you liked it and it has been good for a long time …
In addition, from a health point of view, the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, cerebrovascular accidents, infertility, sleep apnea, endocrine tumors or osteoarthritis, all are reduced. they are diseases that worsen as the level of obesity increases.
To carry out a successful weight reduction program, you must integrate the consumption of healthier foods, physical exercise and the modification of important aspects of the lifestyle.
And you, why do you want to lose weight? It is possible to go from disorderly and inappropriate habits to more orderly and healthy ones that allow you to improve your quality of life. In this video, my colleagues Jéssica Hierro (dietitian-nutritionist) and Mª José Moreno (Clinical Psychologist) tell you some of the keys to losing 20 kilos through a diet.
HOW LONG CAN IT TAKE TO LOSE 20 KG?
The answer to this question has many variations depending on the type of diet you carry out. Surely you have heard of promises that claim to lose 20 kg in 3 months , but do you really think they are healthy or rather are they miracle diets?
A drastic decrease in calories that causes rapid weight loss, causes you to lose more muscle and water, and can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
Additionally, poorly planned weight loss diets can lead to hunger, moodiness, apathy, discouragement, and anxiety. Many, because they eliminate basic foods that help improve your mood, such as bread or other cereals. Yes, yes, the bread. Weight loss diets that include this food group have been shown to get along better and the result is more durable over time.
The gradual weight loss over a period longer helps reduce fat reserves, limits the loss of muscles and helps control the decrease in metabolic rate basal accompanying the rapid reduction in weight, ie reduces the tendency of our body to adapt to reducing calorie intake, spending less energy. Because eating «little» can also promote weight gain. Have you ever heard, “with the little that I eat, I don’t know why I am with this weight”?
According to scientific studies, a calorie limitation that causes a reduction of 0.25 to 0.5 kg per week in BMI from 27 to 35 and 0.5 to 1 kg in BMI> 35 is the ideal to be able to maintain later the achieved weight and avoid the rebound effect.
Therefore, we could say that to give you an idea, you can lose 20 kg in about 10 months.
WILL THE DIET BE ENOUGH?
To lose 20 kilos, you can’t just adopt the right eating habits and not change anything else in your life.
Important aspects such as sleep, stress and physical activity are essential to achieve this goal. They are all interconnected and when one of them is ignored, it can sabotage the rest.
- Sleep: Lack of sleep disrupts the endocrine regulatory mechanisms of hunger and appetite. Hormones that modulate appetite play a predominant role and can promote excessive energy intake. You must ensure that you sleep between 7-8 hours a day.
- Stress: Stress causes a release of adrenaline and cortisol, in a «fight or flight» response and has effects on metabolism. As a consequence of this, the appetite is altered, being able to decrease or increase, but generally it increases. In addition, a situation of stress or anxiety maintained over time can make weight loss difficult.
Therefore, we will have to find a way to manage that stress with activities that you like, such as painting, sewing, listening to music, yoga classes, and in general, enjoying your free time …
- Physical Activity: Physical activity is a key aspect to promote weight loss over time. If you are or have been sedentary all your life, it is important that you start with small steps such as walking everywhere you can instead of using the car; climb stairs, leaving the elevator aside; and set yourself hiking challenges to start.
For example, you can start by walking 30 minutes a day and record the kilometers you do. The following week, increase the walk time. On the other you can try to do the same route, in a shorter time and start jogging and thus progressively setting small goals.
The practice of physical activity increases your daily caloric expenditure and in this way, helps the loss of body fat to work properly. In addition, as we always say, the diet should help you change habits, and this is essential to guarantee a better state of health.
What type of diet to lose 20 kilos should I follow?
A balanced diet with energy restriction is the most reliable method to achieve long-term weight reduction.
Obviously, it is about carrying out a change in eating habits that not only serve to achieve the goal, but that serve forever.
The low calorie diet has to be individualized by your dietitian-nutritionist .
The most advisable calorie reduction is one that involves a reduction of 500 to 1000 kcal per day and its energy distribution is the following for a classic hypocaloric diet: it includes carbohydrates at least in the three main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) trying that most of them are whole. Reduce your usual portion but do not eliminate the intake of cereals. Vegetables and fruits must be present ensuring 250-300g of vegetables per day and 300-350g of fruit per day. It is important that the protein intake comes from meats with low fat content, fish and shellfish, eggs, low-fat dairy (fresh cheeses rather than cured) or from foods of plant origin such as: legumes, nuts, seeds, soybeans and derivatives . The Caloric intake in the form of fat should not exceed 30% of total calories. That 30% can be reached very easily, so I recommend you: control the oil in your dishes! It is very healthy, but you should use it in moderation and avoid fried, battered and heavy stews.
Key aspects to consider
- Make the 5 meals a day : Eating every 3-4 hours will allow you to regulate your blood glucose levels well and in this way you get to the next meal well to choose the healthiest foods that will make up your plate.
- Drink between 1.5 and 2 liters of water a day . Broths and infusions also count as such. Avoid sugary drinks and alcoholic beverages, as they add sugars and many daily calories to your diet.
- Respect the idea of the plate . Your plate at lunch and dinner should include vegetables , cereals or foods rich in carbohydrates and foods Half of the meal will be based on vegetables or salads to provide satiety and little caloric value and thus regulate the subsequent consumption of more caloric foods such as those of protein origin and carbohydrates.
- What’s one of the easiest ways to feel full faster? Substitute refined grains for whole grains rich in fiber and protein . But don’t just swap out white wheat bread for whole wheat one day. Typically, these versions of whole wheat have only a negligible increase in fiber, and most have the same number of calories as the refined ones. You’ll get the most fiber (and nutrients) when you eat intact whole grains, like brown rice, whole wheat, legumes, quinoa, and oats, among others.
- It uses varied cooking , but with little fat, such as: boiled, steam, iron, papillote wok, oven or stews with little oil. Avoid fried and battered.
- Vary your dishes and use different ingredients and preparations, in this way you will avoid monotony. It’s about enjoying!
- You can use all kinds of spices and aromatic herbs to flavor dishes. Moderate the salt.
- Chew your food well and eat slowly to give yourself time to feel the signs of satiety.
WHAT DO I DO WHEN I HAVE PARTIES OR CELEBRATIONS IN THE MIDDLE?
During the time in which you will be with this loss of 20 kilos of weight there will be celebrations such as the chestnut, Christmas, Easter, family meals or with friends …
Are you worried about these situations? Don’t you know how to deal with them?
At this time, the consultation will help you to work together with your nutritionist in advance on these celebrations so that when they occur, you can be more effective by having sufficient resources. In addition, you will be able to obtain healthier tips, ideas and recipes to be able to propose them and thus avoid eating very caloric meals.
You have to be aware that you can enjoy social life like the rest, always trying to choose your diet in the healthiest way possible within your means.
Obviously, when it is time for chestnuts, panellets, cannelloni or nougat, you can indulge in the pleasure of eating them, like everyone else. Of course, taste it in small portions, without gorging yourself. The control will allow you to follow a good line of weight loss.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET BORED AND STAY?
You are in a process of change and as such, it is likely that along the way there may be a relapse.
An important aspect that can help you achieve your final goal is to break that goal down into smaller goals that don’t involve a tremendous effort. Short-term goals help you gain confidence and motivation as you reach them.
It may happen that losing the first few kilos is easier because the level of motivation is very high and after a while, it has decreased.
When you have been on the diet for a while, different emotions may appear such as boredom, rage or anger, anxiety … But the most important thing is to learn to regulate them.
Guilt may appear if one day you walk into a bakery and you have not been able to resist eating chocolate croissants until you can no longer … Then lashing thoughts may appear like … What have you done? How could you? Theoretically you feel guilty because you have made a mistake. Understand it as part of the process and take steps so it doesn’t happen again.
If you have anxiety, check if you are eating in an orderly way, if you are respecting the idea of the plate and you are not missing any food group.
You may feel angry or angry because you are going to eat out and it turns out that everyone is eating caloric and fatty dishes that you find palatable and you choose healthier options to continue with your goal. In those moments you feel anger and envy because the rest of the table are thin and you think that they do not need to watch what they eat … But you will feel better if you think about the positive aspects that you are getting by reducing your weight.
The time may come when you think the sacrifice is no longer worth it. What to do then?
At this point, it may be time to redefine your goals and assess whether you want to continue losing weight or not. To do this, I recommend that you ask yourself why you want to lose 20 kg of weight and make a list of all of them. This will allow you to assess and become aware of the importance of the initial objective.
In consultation you will be able to work on the rethinking of these objectives together with the barriers and resources that you have around you. Learning to identify the barriers that are presented to you both in your approaches, emotions, planning or in your environment, will help you to anticipate these complicated situations, to know how to face and manage them in the best possible way.
If you decide to go back to losing weight, it is important that you consider what has worked for you so far, what you have not tried yet, what you can do differently …
At this time, your nutritionist can help you promote creativity, incorporate new things into your diet, new recipes, new ways of cooking, how to plan … In short, to vary both the foods to choose how to cook them and their texture and presentation. And they don’t have to be very complicated, elaborate and time-consuming recipes. You will be surprised how easy it is to cook fun and healthy in no time.
For example, if we choose pumpkin, we can eat it in many ways:
- Cooked butternut squash in a fresh salad with cherry tomatoes, marinated salmon, arugula and cucumber.
- Sliced pumpkin as a base and with a sea bass on top, baked.
- Wok squash with other vegetables such as eggplant, pepper, mushrooms and accompanying brown rice, for example.
- Cooked and kneaded pumpkin preparing a vegetable base to make a baked pizza.
- Pumpkin in cream.
- Pumpkin en papillote with mushrooms, spices and salmon.
You don’t like broccoli?… Have you tried steaming it and making it more consistent? Steamed vegetables have more flavor and you can vary their texture according to your tastes.
Do you think that this way you will get bored? We put the recipes and ideas on us, you will have to put your hands to elaborate it and later, enjoy its flavor!